Saturday, September 18, 2010

This Week in Texas Methodist History September 19

Churches Celebrate Heritage September 19, 2010

On Sunday, September 19, 2010, at least two Texas Conference UMC churches will celebrate special anniversaries.

Greggton UMC in Longview will celebrate 100 years of witness and service in Gregg County. The farming community existed as early as 1873 and was called Willow Springs when the Texas and Pacific Railroad established a station there. The MECS church was organized in 1910 and was called Center Point. Extant records show that it was part of the Hallsville Circuit in the 1920’s along with Hallsville, Summerfield, Winterfield, and LaGrone’s Chapel. All of Gregg County was transformed by the discovery of the East Texas Oil Field, and the community was renamed Greggton in the early 1930s. During the 1950’s it was annexed by Longview.

Greggton UMC is celebrating its centennial with a week of services culminated in a Sunday service at Pine Tree Auditorium followed by a barbecue lunch. Bishop Janice Huie will participate in the celebration.

Jones Memorial UMC in Houston will celebrate fifty years of ministry with a special worship service on September 19, 2010. The church was organized in the residence of Mr. and Mrs. Robert Nora on September 19, 1960. Bishop Noah Moore appointed the Rev. Dr. J. S. Scott to be the founding pastor. The congregation moved into its own building in 1963. It has been blessed with a succession of distinguished pastors. Dr. Scott was followed by Revs. Lewis Jackson, Sr., Joseph Cox, Louis Greer, Donald Waddleton, and Lawrence Young. The current pastor is the Rev. Kenneth R. Levingston.

Jones Memorial UMC now worships in new facilities at Highway 288 and Almeda-Genoa Road in Houston.

The guest preacher for the 50th anniversary celebration will be former pastor Dr. Waddleton.


Post a Comment

<< Home