This Week in Texas Methodist History January 29
Methodist in Abilene Organized After Mulkey Revival St. Paul
A previous post highlighted the work of evangelists Abe and Louisa Mulkey in securing a strong financial basis for the Methodist Orphanage in
. Lest than a decade after making the orphanage
debt free, a Mulkey revival led to the organization of a new church in Waco . Abilene
In early February, 1909, at the invitation of Abilene
pastor, Rev. S. J.
Rucker, Abe Mulkey preached a revival in the Opera House. On the last night of
the revival, there was a collection for a new church building. The collection totaled almost $18,000 of a
projected cost of $30,000. Then a
curious thing happened. Rather than
using the funds to build a new church building for First Methodist
it was decided to organize a second Methodist church in .
By annual conference the basement had been dug, and construction started. By the 1910 session of annual conference, the new church,
’s Methodist, was able to report 320
members as compared to First Methodist’s 420.
It took three years to build the new church building, and the first
worship service held in the new sanctuary was the 1912 session of the Northwest
Texas Annual Conference. St. Paul
In 1914 Rev. J. W. Hunt was appointed to
He stayed two years before assuming the presidency of St. Paul . Stamford College Stamford
College closed, and Hunt came back to St. Paul’s, and from that post worked to created McMurry College
(later ). The church website highlights McMurry University ’s important role
in supporting McMurry. St. Paul