This Week in Texas Methodist History May 13
Methodists Use Visual Aids May 13, 1912
As Methodists gather for worship and Sunday School in 2012, they often employ all sorts of visual enhancements. Large scale projection screens, Powerpoint presentations, DVD’s, video clips, and other technologies are so common that they no longer evoke comment.
The use of visual technologies to enhance worship and study is nothing new. In the mid-19th century large painted canvas scrolls depicting Biblical scenes were unrolled before audiences. One hundred years ago a popular technology was the stereopticon. Here is a typical church news column from May 13, 1912.
Tuesday night a stereopticon lecture will be given for the Sunday School by the Rev. W. Huggett at the
At the weekly service at
Sunday night lantern slides of scenes
of the Boy Scouts were exhibited. Fort Bliss
The Rev. W. S. Huggett will deliver the popular lecture, “The Other Wise Man,”in the
tonight for the
benefit of the Traveler’s Aid Society. The lecture will be illustrated with
stereopticon slides. Trinity Methodist
The stereopticon was a forerunner of the slide projector. Images were painted on glass panels. A light source behind the glass projected the image onto a screen. A typical stereopticon had two lenses so that a dissolve feature could be used. The most popular programs included Biblical scenes,
Holy Land travelogues, great
masters reproductions, and missionary activities.
Stereopticons had existed since the 1850s, and by 1912 they were rapidly being replaced by moving pictures. The attached slide is from the personal collection of Mrs. Bonnie Sandberg.