This Week in Texas Methodist History March 31
J. H. McLean Dedicates New
at Manor, April 6, 1882 Church Building
F. A. Mood, Regent of Southwestern University, was scheduled to give the dedicatory sermon for the new church at Manor, but he was indisposed, so J. H. McLean, the Vice-Regent filled in for him. Methodists in Manor traced their origins to 1854 when they met in a school. In 1871 the
Austin branch of the Houston and Texas
Central Railway provided access to markets, and northeastern
prospered. The Methodist church
dedicated in April 1882 was one of three churches in Manor in the
mid-1880s. Travis County
The Day set for the dedication of the our church at Manor, Travis County, Texas, found a large congregation in attendance –more than could be comfortably seated although the house is 34 by 50 feet. On account of the indisposition of Dr. Mood, Bro. J. H. McLean from the
came to our relief, for which we give thanks.
The theme selected for the occasion was “Spiritual Worship,” and it was
well handled, and the preacher peculiarly fortunate in the elucidation of the
want of modality in all the instances of worship as given in the Bible. . . Southwestern University
The friends brought refreshments of the most kind and greatest abundance, showing the cordiality with which they greeted the new enterprise.
May this building long stand a monument of the zeal and devotion of a few Christians.
W. C. Nelms,
Christian Advocate, April 22, 1882. Texas