Saturday, June 29, 2019

This Week in Texas Methodist History June 30



David Hoover, Suspected of Being a Northern Methodist Flees for His Life, July 1860

The lynching of Anthony Bewley is well known to students of Texas Methodist history.  Bewley was a MEC preacher who w
Less well known is the story of David Hoover who had allowed Bewley to conduct services in his house at Birdville.  Hoover, too, was pursued by a lynch mob from Fort Worth, but managed to escape home to Indiana where he told his story.   (From A History of the MEC Church in the Southwest from 1844 to 1864 by Charles Elliott, 1868


Soon after this that is, 1858 I moved
 to Birdville, Tarrant County, Texas. There
 being no members of the Methodist Episcopal
 Church in that place, and the Methodist Episcopal
 Church South promising us protection, we
 joined that Church. Previous to that time,
 I had frequently been urged by preachers 
of other denominations to join the South, 
saying then I would have friends, and might 
be useful to the Church. I was a member of 
this Church about one year, during which time
 I have frequently heard the preachers and
 official members say, that the Northern 
abolition preachers were sent here to sow 
the seed of discord among the blacks. 
After living in Birdville about a year, 
I moved back to my farm. About this time, 
I had some relations come to see me from 
Indiana; this created some excitement.
 They wanted to know of me what their business 
was. I told them they had come to look for 
homes. About the middle of July my brother 
came to see me and to settle in Texas. 
 
"On the 25th of July, 1860, I left for 
Fort Worth on business, in company with 
my brother. When I got home next morning 
my family told me that, soon after leaving 
the morning previous for Fort Worth, a couple 
of men who hitherto professed to be my friends,
 came to let me know that the Fort Worth
 Committee were coming to see 
me. That week the Committee heard that I was 
a Northern Methodist; that I thought John Brown 
was a Christian; and if they proved such things, 
I was to be hung. If 
I had any business to fix up; I had better
 improve the time. Some of the Committee 
told my wife that I had too many strangers 
about me. She told them that we were 
members of the Church South. They said if 
the Committee knew that, they might not 
hang me. This was soon after they hung 
Crawford and others. After deliberation, 
I concluded to leave the God-forsaken country, 
let the sacrifice be what it might, and go 
to some free State where I could live in peace. 
 
"I started about eleven o'clock the same day,
 sick and feeble. We expected them to follow
 us. The second day we missed our way, a
 man giving us wrong directions, and 
we did not strike the road for a hundred 
miles. On the third day, being weary in 
body and mind, I fell asleep on the saddle, 
and lost my coat, pocket-book, papers, notes, etc. 
 
"While I told my brother to proceed to 
where the horses might obtain water, I
 traveled back five miles in search of my 
coat, etc., and had to return without finding
 them. Here we were in a strange land, and 
not knowing what minute we would be taken 
and hung. It was then I cried : ' Lord of hosts !
 Thou who preservest man and beast; if I have
 given no just cause for this persecution,
 
 then do, thou deliver me from bloody and 
deceitful men.' It was midnight when I 
returned. I lay down and slept till morning.
 The fourth day I felt that the Lord was
 with us. This day we heard of some people 
being run out of the State. On the fifth 
day a friend gave me a coat and vest. 
Another gave me thirteen dollars. On the
 sixth day we rested. On the seventh day 
we saw three families fleeing to a free 
State. On the eighth day, in the after- 
noon, we passed through Clarksville. 
While there, we learned that a couple 
of men had arrived from Fort Worth, 
whom we eluded, and escaped unobserved. 
I learned that the Texans followed us 
for eight days. On the ninth day we
 crossed Red River, and saw a man 
leaving for Illinois on horseback, 
intending to send back for his- 
family. The Fort Worth Committee 
did not follow us, but another did, one at a time." 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home