Sunday, December 29, 2019

This Week in Texas Methodist History December 29



Advocate Publishes Sam Barcus Request for New Status (Retirement) with Conference, January,  1942

The Barcus family is one of the most distinguished in Texas Methodist history, having provided several preachers across several generations.  One of the most prominent members of the family was J. Sam Barcus. 

In his history of Southwestern University, William B. Jones, described President Barcus as
“personally a modest man.”

In his request for superannuated status at the 1941 session of the North Texas Conference he overcame some of that modesty and told some of his many accomplishments.  Had he wished, Barcus could have spoken even longer about a career that included membership in four annual conferences, the presidency of 3 colleges (Seth Ward, Clarendon, and Southwestern), and Presiding Elderships. 

Here is the address as printed in the Southwestern Advocate.

I come to ask a change in my Conference Relationship.  I do not make this request at the suggestion of the bishop, the district superintendent, or members of my family.  I come of my own motion.  I came after consulting the calendar.  I joined the Conference forty-nine years ago.  I began serving as a supply fifty-two years ago.  I was licensed to preach fifty-five years ago. 

I was a licensed preacher from Hubert Knickerbocker was a lad.  I was O. P. Kiker’s preacher when he was a “prep” in college. I was Chairman of the Admission Committee when Umphrey Lee’s father joined the conference.  When a question was raised by the committee about his age, he replied that even if he could not give more than twenty years of service, Umphrey, then 15 years old, would come along and be worth something to the church. 

I graduated from Southwestern University before Hiram Boaz entered there.  I was A. Frank Smith’s pastor when he was a boy and his little broth Angie was too young to remember.,  (note:  Angie Smith was presiding in the absence of the bishop when these remarks were delivered.)_
I was a college president when Ivan Lee Holt entered college and I have heard bishops that Bishop John M. Moore never saw. 

My ministry falls into three periods.  I have been a pastor, a college president, and a Presiding Elder.  As a pastor I never failed to have additions to the church on professions of faith or to raise Conference collections in full.  As President of Southwestern University, we had the largest graduating class before or since.  As Presiding Elder, I now have a fountain pen as making the best report of any presiding elder in the Conference. 

In asking for a change in Conference relationship, I hardly know how to frame the request.  It would not be proper to ask for superannuation.  In Methodist terminology a superannuate is one worn out in the service.  The record I hold for never missing an appointment in fifty years on account of sickness has been maintained this year.  I have filled all my appointments and have preached a number of times in the country school house.  I have made quarterly visits to the members of the church.  While I have always reported Conference collections in full, I had this year the largest percent increase this year of any year.  

Retirement would not be the right term to use.  I do not know how to retire.  I can beat a charge, but I do not know how to beat a retreat.  Whatever my relationship to the Conference, I will be working somewhere for the Lord.  

The group that has been called by one as “parasites” (retirees drawing a pension) will not fit my case. After the thousands of dollars I have personally contributed and the hundreds of thousands I have raised, and the many people I have led to Christ and into the church, I feel that any compensation I receive from the church will be for value received. 

It will be impossible to place me in the class sometimes designated as “forgotten men.”I have loved too many people and have been loved by too many to ever be forgotten.   One of my most prized letters received this year was from a girl received into the church about four years ago.  She was acknowledging a little present sent on the occasion of her high school graduation.  She wrote “I will keep this as a remembrance but I need nothing to remember how wonderful you are. 

Sam Barcus retired to Georgetown and died there in 1948. 


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home