Saturday, October 24, 2020

 

This Week in Texas Methodist History  October 25

 

William Dickinson, later Highland Park Minister, Writes about World War II Experiences, October,  1943

 

William H. Dickinson (1913-1972) is widely known as the pastor of Highland Park Methodist Church in Dallas from 1958 to 1972.  He was part of the “greatest generation’ who served in World War II.  In October 1943 one of his letters home from Sicily was published in the Southwestern Christian Advocate.   October 28, 1943)

 

Dickinson entered the chaplaincy in January and sailed on June 5.  He participated in the entire Sicily campaign. 

 

I wish I could tell you of some of the experiences with the men.  The other night after I preached, a boy, out of a crowd of about fifteen, asked me what I thought were the chances of a German soldier being saved.  After we talked to him for a few minutes, he said, “I’d hate to think that those who were killed today didn’t have a chance to be saved.”  I think that attitude is pretty general.   All though the outfit I find a thoughtful and unusually wholesome attitude, and I’m confident that a large per cent of our Army is going to work as hard for  a just deal as they are now to win the war.  That is my goal and the aim for which I am striving.  I just wish I could get around to more men. They are all thinking now and are anxious to come to some definite conclusions.  On thing sure==if the Church does not recruit a strong membership of thoughtful Christians who will be able to exert a tremendous force in the settlement of international conflicts that arise after this war, it will be no ones fault except the churches.

 

Dickinson also wrote of holding Religious Emphasis Week and holding a song service among the olive and almond trees with 385 men singing as one.   He had been assigned to the 45th Division which was part of the Oklahoma National Guard.   In his letter Dickinson said he was tempted to transfer to the Oklahoma Conference after his chaplaincy. 

 

This was one of several letters home---all revealed that he was already looking ahead to the post-war world and the need to bring Christ to that world.

 

This week is also the anniversary of Dickinson’s death.  He died in Baylor Hospital on October 29, 1972.  I quote from his death certificate 

Metastasis of adenocarcinoma of pancreas (body)

Arteriosclerotic heart disease with old myocardial  infarction and bundle branch block.

 

He was 59 at the time of his death.  His interment was at Restland Memorial Park.  Mrs. Dickinson (Nina) survived him and lived until 2006, 

 

 

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home