Saturday, November 10, 2012

This Week in Texas Methodist History  November 11

Dr. U. H. Nixon, Medical Missionary from Killeen, Dies in Mexico, Nov. 11, 1903

For much of the late 19th and early 20th centuries Texas Methodists had a close relation with missions in the neighboring Republic of Mexico.  Proximity, common heritage, and missionary zeal all played their parts.  By 1900 the MECS had established a number of schools and two hospitals in Mexico or on the border. 

In the report for 1902 the two hospitals in San Luis Potosi and Monterey reported serving more than one thousand patients.  The medical missionary in charge of the hospital at Monterey was a Texan, Dr. Udolphus Hamilton Nixon.  Dr. Nixon had formerly practiced medicine in Killeen, but in 1901 moved to Monterrey as a medical missionary for the Board of Missions.  Unfortunately Dr. Nixon fell victim to a yellow fever epidemic in 1903.  The Texas Medical Association published the following obituary.

Dr. U. H. Nixon was born near Campbellton, Georgia, November 21, 1864, and came to Texas in 1886.  He attended the State Medical College in Galveston one year; and afterwards attended the Barnes Medical College, from which institution he graduated in 1893. He opened an office at Killeen, Texas, and soon succeeded in building up a good practice.  In 1901 he was appointed as a medical missionary by the General Board of Missions of the Methodist Church, South, and was sent to Monterey, Mexico.  IN that city he gave himself without stint to his work and soon succeeded in establishing a most promising hospital practice.  In 1903, during a terrible yellow fever scourge prevailing in Mexico, he stood calmly and faithfully at the post of duty. He would not forsake his people in their dire extremity, though he was solicited to take his family to a place of safety until the fever had subsided, he refused to do so.  His wife was first attacked by the fever, and before she recovered he was also attacked and died on November 11, 1903.  His wife and seven children survive him. 

His wife, Martha, was a widow at age 33.  
Her seven children ranged from ten years to infancy.  
She moved to Georgetown. 
 One daughter, Irene, followed her
 father's example into the Mexican mission field. 
After studying at Southwestern and teaching at 
Holding Institute, she became a missionary in the
 Methodist school in Chihuahua. 


Post a Comment

<< Home