This Week in Texas Methodist History November 25
Polytechnic College is the predecessor of . Texas Wesleyan
Committee Meets in
Worth to Examine Site for College November 25, 1890
One of the actions of the 1890 North West Texas Annual Conference was authorizing the construction of a college in
The expansion of the rail system west of Fort Worth
in the 1880’s was transforming that city into an important market and
processing center for the livestock and grain produced in western Texas. It was obvious that Fort Worth had bright prospects for the future.
Civic boosters of the era realized that city development was enhanced by the presence of a university. They often offered economic incentives in the form of acreage to encourage denominational colleges.
Only a month after the 1890 Annual Conference closed, a committee consisting of Rev. J. T. L. Annis of
Charles T. Jester of Corsicana, W. L. Vaughn of Dallas, Rev. J. H.
Collard of Granbury, and C. D. Jordan of Vernon, met in Fort worth to consider
The main boosters were A. S. Hall, W. d. Hall, and George Tandy. They offered the conference fifty acres for a campus and another two hundred fifty acres that would be developed into a community of
businessmen funded an administration building, dormitory, and classroom. In less than a year Polytechnic
opened with 105 students. Polytechnic College